Sunday, 6 September 2009

In memory of Smurf...

When Smurf was first found by the rescuers, he was sitting on the middle of the rusty roads of Lim Chu Kang, where lots of heavy vehicles are. Although he was suffered from severe skin infections, one can recognize he's a pedigree. It was believed that his heartless owner abandoned him because of his illness. He was in the state of total confusion and did not put up a resist when the kind people picked him up.

Under caring hands, Smurf was nursed back to health in a few months, and his fur had grown back. He was a very independent and undemanding dog, and because of his reserved, quiet personality and small size, he was sometimes being forgotten and neglected by the people. When all believed that Smurf had recovered and was ready to be adopted, his immune system broke down again and much more serious this time.

Under his thick long fur which the caretakers did not bear to shave as it took a long time for it to grow back, there were a few open sores developing without anyone's notice. Until one day, when my volunteer friend got closer and smelled something rotten near Smurf, then we realised that there were already many bloody and rotten sores on his skin; the itch was unbearable, the more Smurf bit the sores, the more nasty and serious the skin condition became.

We had notified the situation to the caretakers, but every week I visited Smurf, his skin infections were worsened. He did not response to the medications and it seemed that the vet can do nothing about the illness as well. I tried to suggest to change his diet to a vegetarian one, as I know lots of dogs are allergic to animal proteins which result them in developing serious and stubborn skin infections, and this allergy is usually not known and tested by many experienced vets. However this suggestion is not receptive to many, what the people could do was to wait for Smurf's time to come... ...

I boiled potatoes for him and gave him extra treats every week I visited him. Smurf had transformed into a tiny, bloody and fragile dog figure that most didn't recognize him eventhough they were only away for just a few weeks. Blood just continued to ooze out from the open sores all over his body. Whereever he went or rested, he would leave blood stains on the spots. Smurf must be very painful but he was still eating well, we should not put him down.

Yesterday morning, I boiled potatoes again and while I was on the way to visit Smurf and other doggies, my volunteer friend sms me to inform me that Smurf had passed on. I was shattered although I had prepared myself pyschologically last week, still it was inevitable to feel the intense grief for the poor animal. I took a taxi down, hope to see the last sight of Smurf before he was buried. When I reached, I recognized the blood stained towel, Smurf was wrapped inside. I touched the frail body the last time and had some quiet moments with him. Human always believe that all pets and animals died will have a future life over at the rainbow bridge, whether it's true or not, I prefer to acknowledge the existence of such paradise --- I believe Smurf is now at rainbow bridge with other wonderful animals, running freely, with no fear, no sadness, no pain and no more sufferings.

Rest in peace Smurf, I will remember you always.

No comments: